Other Charitable Works
In addition to the funds donated through the General Charities Fund, the Charities Committee raises money or collects goods for specific projects and causes each year :
- Clothing drive : At our annual Welcome Back Brunch held in September 2010, we were able to donate 5 car loads of clothes and household items to the Elisabeth Frey Haus, Cologne.
- Race for the Cure : Last October, we had our annual Walk for the Cure in Altenberg. We have been organizing these walks to support breast cancer research for the last several years.
- At our Christmas Brunch in 2008 and 2009, we organised an arts and crafts drive for the children of the Kinderheim in Sülz (Kinder- und Jungendpädagogische Einrichtung der Stadt Köln, KidS). Last summer, we donated sport and leisure equipment to them (see article in the Wochenspiegel).
- Christmas Shoebox action : The AIWCC joined the Ford Motor Company in its annual fundraising campaign to provide Christmas packages to needy and orphaned children in Romania. We added 29 boxes to the effort.
Through our parent organization FAWCO, the AIWCC also supports charitable works around the world by :
- Making annual donations to FAWCO Foundation
- Applying for FAWCO Development Grants to support charities we work with. In 2010, we won a Developement Grant for the Tsarang Nunnery School, Mustang, Nepal
- Making donations to FAWCO’s Emergency Relief Fund. In 2010 we donated funds to the Haiti relief fund.